MELEK DÝKER YÜCEL
BS, Electrical and Electronics Engineering Department of
MS, Electrical and Electronics Engineering Department of
PhD, Electrical and Electronics Engineering Department of
Cryptology, Error Control Coding, Speech and Image Processing, Telecommunications.
EE 301-Signals and Systems 1 (Syllabus)
for the Electrical Engineering Department - Tuesday and , Thursday in Room A-307 of EE-A Building
EE 534-Coding Theory
for the Electrical Engineering
Department - Thursday , in Room DZ-17 of
My Erdös number is 4: (S. Maitra -> P. Stanica -> F. Luca -> P. Erdös)
My Einstein number is 6 and Gauss number is 8:
(S. Maitra -> P. Stanica -> F. Luca -> C. Pomerance -> E. G. Straus -> A. Einstein -> H. Minkowski -> C. F. Gauss)
· Selçuk Kavut and Melek D. Yücel, 9-Variable Boolean Functions with Nonlinearity 242 in the Generalized Rotation Symmetric Class, Information and Computation (2010), doi: 10.1016/j.ic.2009.12.002.
· Selçuk Kavut, Subhamoy Maitra, and Melek D. Yücel, Search for Boolean Functions with Excellent Profiles in the Rotation Symmetric Class, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, May 2007, Vol. 53, No. 5, pp. 1743-1751, ISSN: 0018-9448.
· Ekrem Aras and Melek D. Yücel, Performance Evaluation of Safer K-64 and S-Boxes of Safer Family pdf, Turkish Journal of Electrical Eng. & Computer Sciences ©, Vol.9, No. 2, pp.161-175, August 2001.
Isil Vergili and Melek D. Yücel, Avalanche and Bit
· Sabire Haciömeroglu and Melek D.Yücel, Distance Spectra for Trellis Coded Modulation Schemes on Channels with Intersymbol Interference pdf, Turkish Journal of Electrical Engineering & Computer Sciences ©, Vol.8, No.2, pp.111-123, September 2000.
· Hasan Abou Rajab and Melek D.Yücel, Efficient Performance Computations for Trellis Coded Modulation, IEEE Trans. on Communications, Vol.47, No.6, pp.796-798, June 1999.
and Ali Isikli, New Decoding Strategy for 32-D Barnes Wall Lattice,
· F. Zeynep Köksal and Melek D.Yücel, Comments on the Decoding Algorithms of DBEC-TBED Reed Solomon Codes, IEEE Trans. on Computers, Vol.41, No.2, pp.244-247, February 1992.
· Melek D.Yücel, Nazif Tepedelenlioglu, Yalçin Tanik, A Fast Noniterative Method for Adaptive Channel Equalization, IEEE Trans. on Communications, Vol.Com-31, No.7, pp.922-927, July 1983.
· Selçuk Kavut, Melek D. Yücel, Improved Cost Function in the Design of Boolean Functions Satisfying Multiple Criteria pdf, Lecture Notes in Computer Science: Progress in Cryptology Indocrypt 2003, Editors: S. Maitra and T. Johansson, LNCS Vol.2904, ãSpringer-Verlag, pp.121-134, December 2003.
· Selçuk Kavut, Melek D. Yücel, Slide Attack on Spectr-H64 pdf, Lecture Notes in Computer Science: Progress in Cryptology Indocrypt 2002, Editors: A. Menezes and P. Sarkar, LNCS Vol.2551, ãSpringer-Verlag, pp.34-47, December 2002.
· Melek D. Yücel, Normalized Measures for Cryptographic Security, Departmental Memorandum, No. 2002-1, 22 pages, April 2002.
· Selçuk Kavut and Melek D.Yücel, On Some Cryptographic Properties of Rijndael pdf, Lecture Notes in Computer Science: Information Assurance in Computer Networks, Methods, Models and Architectures for Network Security, Editors: V. I. Gorodetski, V. A. Skormin, L. J. Popyack, LNCS Vol.2052, ãSpringer-Verlag, pp.300-311, May 2001.
· Melek D.Yücel,Alternative Nonlinearity Criteria for Boolean Functions pdf, Departmental Memorandum, No.2001-1, 22 pages, January 2001.
Isil Vergili and Melek D.Yücel, On Satisfaction of Some Security Criteria for Randomly Chosen S-Boxes pdf, Proc. 20th
Biennial Symp. on Communications, pp.64-68,
Ekrem Aras and Melek D.Yücel, Some Cryptographic Properties of Exponentiation and Logarithm-Taking
Boxes pdf, Proc. 20th Biennial
Symp. on Communications, pp.69-73,
· Melek D. Yücel, Alpaslan Lorasdagi, Digital Signature Schemes Based on Discrete Logarithm over Finite Fields, Proc.ELECO99 International Conference on Electrical Engineering, Vol.1, pp.263-267, Bursa, December 1999.
Melek D.Yücel, Cüneyt
Acar, Comparison of Block Ciphers
· Ekrem Aras, Melek D.Yücel, Examination of Substitution Boxes of SAFER, Proc.ELECO99 International Conference on Electrical Engineering, Vol.1, pp.418-422, Bursa, December 1999.
· Melek D.Yücel, Information Security over Open Communication Networks, a contribution to the Masterplan of Turkish Information Infrastructure (TUENA), 23 pages, November 1997.
Hasan Abou Rajab, Melek D.Yücel, Effects of Improving Phase Transparency on the Distance Spectrum of
Trellis Codes, Proc.8th Mediterranean Electrotechnical Conference-Melecon96, Vol.2, pp.1014-1017,
Melek D.Yücel, Design and Evaluation of Two Block Coded Modulation Schemes,
Proc.7th Mediterranean Electrotechnical Conference - Melecon94, Vol.1, pp.215-218,
Hakki T. Yalazan, Melek D.Yücel, A New Objective Fidelity Criterion for Image Processing: Derivative
Emin Germen, Semih Bilgen,
Melek D.Yücel, A Microprocessor-Based System for Transcription and Processing of Single
Part Music, 10th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Workshop W12,
Hasan Abou Rajab, Melek D.Yücel, Probability of Error Performance of Reed Solomon Codes over Q-ary
Symmetric Channels, Proc.6th Mediterranean Electrotechnical Conference - Melecon91,
· Ercan Sut, F.Taner Özdemir, Melek D.Yücel, Semih Bilgen, Comparison of Reed Solomon Decoder Implementations Based on Two Different Microprocessors, Proc.6th Mediterranean Electrotechnical Conference - Melecon91, Vol.1, pp.614-617, Ljubljana, Slovenia, May 1991.
· Melek D.Yücel, Can Demiray, Performance of Systematic versus Nonsystematic Codes Under Overnoisy Conditions, International Symposium on Information Theory, Abs.of Papers, pp.235-236, Kobe, Japan, June 1988.
Fikri Atmaca, Melek D.Yücel, Implementation of Reed-Solomon Encoder and Decoder Using
Melek D.Yücel, Accurate Representation of Speech Signals,
Proc.3rd Mediterranean Electrotechnical Conference - Melecon85,
Vol.2 on Digital Signal Processing, pp.1515-153,
Tanik, Melek D.Yücel, A New Voiced/Unvoiced Decision Algorithm,
Proc.3rd Mediterranean Electrotechnical Conference - Melecon85,
Vol.2 on Digital Signal Processing, pp.119-121,
Tanik, Nazif Tepedelenlioglu, Melek D. Yücel, Conditions for the Convergence of the
Nazif Tepedelenlioglu, Yalçin Tanik, A Fast Noniterative Method for Adaptive Channel Equalization,
Proc.EUSIPCO-80, First European Signal Processing Conf., pp155-156,
Yildirim, Melek D.Yücel, Blok Sifreler Için Dogrusal Olmama Ölçütü,
ELEKO2000 Elektrik-Elektronik-Bilgisayar Müh. Sempozyumu Bildiriler
Hakki T.Yalazan, Melek D.Yücel, Imge Kodlamada Kullanilmak Üzere Yeni Bir Dogruluk Ölçütü Gelistirilmesi, 1. Sinyal Isleme ve Uygulamalari Kurultayi Bildiriler Kitabi, pp.42-46,
M. Cahit Bindak, Blok Kodlamada Sistematik Eslemenin Önemi, Elektrik Mühendisligi 5.Ulusal Kongresi, pp.713-717, Karadeniz Teknik Üniversitesi,
· Ali Isikli, Melek D.Yücel, Blok Kodlamali Modülasyon, Elektrik Mühendisligi 4.Ulusal Kongresi, pp.696-699, Dokuz Eylül Üniversitesi, Izmir, September 1991.
· Semih Bilgen, Özgür Izmirli, Melek D.Yücel, Bilgisayarda Müzik Tanima, Elektrik Mühendisligi 3.Ulusal Kongresi, pp.440-442, Istanbul Teknik Üniversitesi, Istanbul, September 1989.
Melek D.Yücel, Iki Hata Düzelten/Üç Hata Yakalayan Reed-Solomon Kodlarinin Çözümlenmesi, Elektrik Mühendisligi 3.Ulusal Kongresi, pp.582-585, Istanbul Teknik Üniversitesi,
Fikri Atmaca, Melek D.Yücel, Reed-Solomon Kodlayici ve Kod Çözücüsünün
· Tümer Dogan, Melek D.Yücel, Reed-Solomon Kodlarinin Çözülmesinde Hata ve Silinti Algoritmasinin Basarimi, ODTÜ Elektrik ve Elektronik Mühendisligi Bölümü 30.Yil Sempozyumu, pp.5-8, Ankara, February 1989.
Semih Can, Melek D.Yücel,
Bilge Alp, Murat Alanyali,
Melek D.Yücel, Kesikli Kosinüs ve Hadamard Dönüsümleri ile Görüntü Kodlamasi, ODTÜ Elektrik ve Elektronik Mühendisligi Bölümü
30.Yil Sempozyumu, pp.13-16,
· Yavuz Bayiz, Melek D.Yücel, Ileri Hata Düzeltme (FEC) ve Otomatik Yeniden Isteme (ARQ) Stratejilerini Kullanan Içiçe Kodlar, ODTÜ Elektrik ve Elektronik Mühendisligi Bölümü 30.Yil Sempozyumu, pp.63-66, Orta Dogu Teknik Üniversitesi, Ankara, February 1989.
· Özgür Izmirli, Semih Bilgen, Melek D.Yücel, Müzik Akorlarinin Bilgisayarla Taninmasi, ODTÜ Elektrik ve Elektronik Mühendisligi Bölümü 30.Yil Sempozyumu, pp.67-70, Orta Dogu Teknik Üniversitesi, Ankara, February 1989.
· Mehmet Ali Tut, Melek D.Yücel, Veri Iletisiminde Simge Eszamanlamasi, Elektrik Mühendisligi Ikinci Ulusal Kongresi, pp.26-29, Orta Dogu Teknik Üniversitesi, Ankara, September 1987.
· Melek D.Yücel, Mustafa Ilkan, Sinyal Uzayinda Kodlanmis Iletisim Dizgeleri, Elektrik Mühendisligi Ikinci Ulusal Kongresi, pp.117-119, Orta Dogu Teknik Üniversitesi, Ankara, September 1987.
Can Demiray, BCH Kodlarinda Kati ve Yumusak Kararli Kod Çözücülerin Basarimlari, Elektrik Mühendisligi Ikinci Ulusal Kongresi, pp.120-122, Orta Dogu Teknik Üniversitesi,
Ankara, September 1987.
Ph. D. Theses
Güzin Yildirim Kurnaz, Covering Sequences and T,K-Bentness Criteria for Boolean Functions, March 2009.
Selçuk Kavut, Boolean Functions with Excellent Cryptographic Properties in Autocorrelation and Walsh Spectra, August 2008.
Hassan Abou Rajab, Efficient Performance Computations for Trellis Coded Modulation, June 1995.
F. Zeynep Köksal, Decoding Algorithms for DBEC-TBED Reed-Solomon Codes, September 1990.
M. Sc. Theses
Erinç Deniz Bardak, Design and Performance of Capacity Approaching Irregular Low-Density Parity-Check Codes, September 2009.
Cihan Uzunoglu, Performance Comparison of Message Passing Decoding Algorithms for Binary and Non-Binary Low Density Parity Check (LDPC) Codes, December 2007.
Onur Hüsnü Kazanci, Performance of Pseudo-Random and Quasi-Cyclic Low Density Parity Check Codes, December 2007.
Mehmet Emre Ciftcibasi, New Montgomery Modular Multiplier Architecture, January 2006.
Ahmet Volkan Serter, Implementation and
Comparison of the Advanced Encryption Standard Finalist Algorithms on
M. Özgür Sahin, Construction of Resilient Boolean Functions with Maximum Nonlinearity, August 2005.
Erdem Yilmaz, Two Versions of the Stream Cipher
Ömer El, Avalanche Properties and the Randomness of the Twofish Cipher, December 2004.
Faruk Göloglu, Divisibility Results on Boolean Functions Using the Numerical Normal Form, September 2004.
Senay Yildiz, Construction of Substitution Boxes Depending on Linear Codes, September 2004.
Savas Arikan, Propagation Characteristics of RC5, RC6 and Twofish Ciphers, December 2003.
Evrim Altas, Nonlinearity of LOKI97 S-Boxes, December 2002.
Zeki Bozkurt, Performance Evaluation of Mars and Serpent Block Ciphers, December 2002.
Abdurrahman Özdere, Distance Spectra and Interleaver Design for Turbo Codes, September 2002.
Özgür Ince, Analysis and Linear Cryptanalysis of the RC5 Block Cipher, September 2002.
Raed Murad, Relations Among Cryptographic Security Criteria and Linear Cryptanalysis, July 2002.
Selçuk Kavut, Examination of Block Ciphers Rijndael, Safer K-64 and a Slide Attack on Spectr-H64, January 2002.
Hamdi Erkan, A Differential Attack on Single Round of SAFER, December 2001.
Sinan Çeçen, Nonlinearity and Propagation Characteristics of Substitution Boxes, September 2001.
Erdal Yildiz, A Proposal for Turkish Government Public Key Infrastructure Trust Model, September 2001.
Nima Okhovat, Cryptanalysis of Elliptic Curve Cryptosystems, January 2001.
Güzin Yildirim, Nonlinearity and Avalanche Properties of Block Ciphers, December 2000.
Isil Vergili, Statistics on Satisfaction of Security Criteria for Randomly Created S-Boxes, June 2000.
Alpaslan Lorasdagi, ElGamal Like Digital Signature Schemes, May 2000.
R. Cüneyt Acar, Cryptographic Test Methods for Block Ciphers, December 1999.
Ekrem Aras, Analysis of Security Criteria for Block Ciphers, September 1999.
Funda Yildirim Mert, Image Compression by Using Wavelet Transform, May 1999.
Ali Serhat Basaranoglu, Public Key Cryptosystems Using Elliptic Curves, April 1999.
Ferda Topcan, Rotationally Invariant Four Dimensional Trellis Coded 8PSK Modulation, September 1998.
Emre Altug Yavuz, Different Computational Methods for Distance Spectra of Trellis Coded
Ünsal Kocatepe, Multidimensional Trellis Coded Phase Modulation Using a Multilevel Concatenation Approach, June 1998.
Erdem Uysal, Implementation of a Public Key Cryptosystem Using RSA,
Serdar Çetingül, Analysis and Simulation of Conventional Asymmetric and Multiple Trellis Coded Modulation in Various Types of Channels, March 1998.
Önder Ökten, Standard Digital Signature Algorithm (DSA) and Secure Hash Algorithm (SHA) in Public Key Cryptography, September 1997.
Hakan Ayçenk, The Performance of Punctured Convolutional Codes, April 1997.
S. Semih Gül, Implementation of an RSA Based Public Key Cryptosystem, January 1997.
Sabire Haciömeroglu, Computation of Distance Spectra for Trellis Coded Modulation on Channels with and without Intersymbol Interference, January 1997.
Levent Kocatürk, Evaluation of Message Weight Distribution Polynomials for Linear Block Codes, December 1996.
Güliz Ercoskun, Performance of Different Trellis Coded Modulators for Quadrature Amplitude Modulation, January 1996.
Safak Seker, Dynamic Finite State Vector Quantization of Digital Images, January 1996.
Mümin Güler, Pragmatic Approach to Trellis Coded Modulation Schemes, January 1995.
Z. Bikem Türkalp, Recursive Plane Decomposition Coding of Quadtree Structures, August 1993.
H. Tarkan Yalazan, Hierarchical Coding of Digital Images for Progressive Transmission, February 1993.
Resat Murat Özkan, Monochrome Image Data Compression Employing BTC, VPIC, HVPIC and BTC-VPIC Hybrid Decoding Techniques, February 1993.
Akin Türk, Image Data Compression Using Spatial Techniques, January 1993.
Sami Duman, A Multi-Transputer Based RS Decoder, (Co-supervisor: Semih Bilgen), September 1992.
Ahmet Gürkan Sancar, Simulation of Uncoded and Convolutionally Encoded Continuous Phase Frequency Shift Keyed Signals by Using Signal Space Method, September 1992.
Mustafa Fikret Ottekin, Analysis and Performance Evaluation of Multicarrier Modulation Systems, July 1992.
M. Cahit Bindak, Probability of Error Performance of Block Codes with Systematic and Nonsystematic Encoding, May 1992.
Ali Isikli, Efficient Decoding Algorithms for Block Coded Modulation, February 1992.
Fetih Çeliksöz, Design and Analysis of a Multidimensional Trellis Coded Modulation Scheme, February 1992.
Berna Sayraç, Design and Performance Evaluation of Block Coded Modulation Systems, January 1992.
S. Orhan Öcal, Image Data Compression Using Adaptive Transform Coding Techniques, September 1991.
Mehmet Sedat Ugur, A Study on the Application of Vector Quantization to Subband Coding of Speech Signals, (Main supervisor: Tugrul Memisoglu), September 1991.
S. Özgür Koç, Convergence Analysis of Some Recursive Parameter Estimation Algorithms Based on Stability Theory Approach, ( Main supervisor: Bülent Kerim Altay), February 1991.
Murat Kuru, Image Data Compression Using Subband Coding Technique, September 1990.
Oguz Sener, Application of Markov Random Field to Textured Images, (Main supervisor: Fatos Y. Vural), September 1990.
F. Taner Özdemir, Implementation of (63, 43) Reed-Solomon Decoder Using the Z80 General Purpose Microprocessor, (Co-supervisor: Semih Bilgen), June 1990.
Ercan Sut, Implementation of (63, 43) Reed-Solomon Decoder with the 8749 Single Chip Microcomputer, (Co-supervisor: Semih Bilgen), June 1990.
Serhat Erdemir, Implementation and Performance Assessment of a Digital Frequency Synthesizer, (Main supervisor: Bülent Kerim Altay), May 1990.
Hassan Abou Rajab, The Probability of Error Performance of Reed-Solomon Codes over 8-ary Nonsymmetric Channels, March 1990.
Volkan Atalay, Image Processing of Ottoman Documents, (Main supervisor: Nese Yalabik), February 1990.
Mehmet Sami Pancaroglu, Investigation of Channel Tracking Schemes for the RLS Adaptive Equalizers Used Over the HF Channel, September 1989.
Tümer Dogan, Performance of Error and Erasure Correction Decoding Algorithm for Reed-Solomon Codes, February 1989.
Semih Can, Implementation of a Real Time Reed-Solomon Encoder and Decoder Using
Yavuz Bayiz, The Concatenated Codes Using FEC and ARQ Strategies for Error Control, February 1988.
Fikri Atmaca, Implementation of Reed-Solomon Encoder and Decoder Using
Can Demiray, Hard an Soft Decision Decoding Performances of BCH Codes, February 1987.
Mustafa Ilkan, Signal Space Coded Signalling Systems, February 1987.
Mehmet Ali Tut, Symbol Synchronizers, February 1987.
Ali Ferda Birinci, Multiplication-Free Transversal Equalizer Adaptation Algorithm, November 1986.
Ahmet Ayhan Alpman, Error Spectrum Shaping in Fixed Point Cascade Form Digital Filters, June 1986.
Sidika Bengür, Distortion Measures for LPC Speech Analysis and Synthesis Systems, March 1985.
H. Füsun Candaner, Blind Equalization and Carrier Phase Tracking in Two-Dimensional Data Communication Systems, February 1985.
Ahmet Tahsin Özgül, Computer Simulation Study of the Spectral Line Enhancer, (Main supervisor: Nazif Tepedelenlioglu), March 1983.
Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering Elektrik ve Elektronik Mühendisligi Bölümü
METU - Middle East Technical University ODTÜ - Orta Dogu Teknik Üniversitesi
06531 Ankara, Türkiye 06531 Ankara, Türkiye
Room: A Building, A408
Phone: +90 (312) 210 23 47
Fax: +90 (312) 210 12 61