Instructions About Summer Practice Procedures: You-Tube Video
Steps to Follow:
Before Summer Practice
- Examine the Summer Practice Website as early as you
can, as much as you can.
- Find yourself a company for summer practice. You may
- Check the list of companies contacted the department for summer
- Examine the summer practice databases of earlier years.
- Use your social skills, family, friends and others to establish
- VERY IMPORTANT
You have to inform us about the starting date of your summer practice 14 days before the actual starting date. Otherwise your insurance will not be settled and you will not be able to start your summer practice work. Use this web address (Please use either Internet Explorer or Firefox) to enter the required information about your summer practice starting date so that your insurance procedure could be started.
You can change or delete your SP start date until 14 days (2 weeks) before the submitted date. That is, if your summer practice starts at July 25; you can change the start date (July 25) until July 11. After July 11, your date and other information is forwarded to President's office and your insurance will be paid shortly. Therefore you can not change your date after July 11, since we would have already submitted that information your info.
- Some companies request a document (letter) stating that the insurance for the summer practice will be paid by METU. You can pick up a letter confirming the payment from EEMB Student Affairs Office (Ogrenci Isleri).
- Some companies may request a document for the proof of EE 300 - EE
400 mandatory summer practice. Learn if you need one of these documents.
If you need one, go to EEMB Student Affairs Office (Ogrenci Isleri) to get a signed and approved form. Completion of approval process may take some time, be
- Pick up your summer practice notebook from photocopy office (A-Block)
or MM Building 2. Floor , "Satin Alma Ofisi".
- You are ready. Go and start your summer work.
During Summer Practice
- On the first day of your summer practice (or when you meet the engineer with whom you are going to working with) submit the introduction letter (either in Turkish or English)
from the summer practice committee explaining the procedures and goals of summer practice.
- Do attend the work with full concentration, be vigilant and observe
what is going on, try to participate. You will write a detailed report
soon. Don't forget that you can work at the same place next year for salary.
- Regularly take notes to help you in writing the final report.
- Prepare draft version of your report while conducting your practice. (Be prepared that you need to upload your report as soon as the new semesters starts.)
- Towards the end of practice, have the mentioned summer practice notebook signed and evaluation
- You may have the evaluation papers mailed to the department; BUT if
possible, prefer to bring the evaluation papers with you in a sealed
envelope so that it won't be misplaced, delayed, lost in department
mail. Also see the rules page.
After Summer Practice
- Convert your report to pdf format. You can use this freeware software for that purpose.
- Upload your report to the summer Practice website, before the registration period.
- During one of the upload steps, you will write your comments on the company that you have just finished your summer practice. Critically express the weakness and strengths of this summer practice location. Your feedback will be read and appreciated by the following summer practice students.
- Print your comments
on the company, because you will include the printed comments page along with your report to the department.
- You do NOT need to register for EE 300, EE 400 during the
- Summer practice committee starts assigning a faculty member to each uploaded as soon as the upload period ends. The faculty members evaluating the reports will be announced on the summer practice homepage in two weeks time.
- Register to EE300/400 in the section of the assigned faculty during the add/drops.
- Finalize your report. On the first visible page of the report that will be submitted for evaluation put the name of faculty member assigned to your report.
- Important: Upload the final version of your report and print the page presented by the system saying
"You have uploaded the final version of your summer practice report consisting of 123 pages or 123456 bytes on 2010-10-01 19:00:00 from 144.122.166.XXX."
- Important: Fill and print the company evaluation form (step 4 and step 9) and summer practice
cover page . (Do not
write the faculty member's name on the cover page. Put the name on the first visible page of the report. Name can be hand-written with a pencil.)
- Important: Staple summer practice
cover page and the first page of Summer Practice booklet (the booklet that you have obtained as explained in Step 6 of "Before Summer Practice" section) together. (The first page is the page with your picture.)
- Include cover sheet, company evaluation form to your report and
bring them all to EEMB Student Affairs Office (Ogrenci Isleri, D-Blok
2nd Floor) by the end of add-drop period (first two weeks of classes) or during the announced time period.
- In EEMB Student Affairs Office, you will find a roster. Find your name and sign at the place next to your name when you submit the documents. This is the final step of report submission.
- Make sure that your report does not have the mistakes mentioned in this checklist.
You have at least two weeks between the time you upload the pdf file and the final submission of the printed report. You can improve your during this time period. You can make various corrections, clarifications and additions; but it is not accepted to have big changes making your final report totally different from the .pdf file.
- The submitted report will be read by faculty
members and your grade will be assigned accordingly.
- Between Dec. 1 - Dec. 7, 20XX : Reports that require corrections will be returned to the students.
- If your report is returned, you have 4 weeks to complete the requested corrections.
- When you are done with the corrections, return your report to the evaluating faculty.
- During this process contact the faculty (preferably by email) and learn the status of your report or there are corrections required.
- Trace your summer practice evaluation form. This means: If you have not submitted your summer practice form by hand to the department; follow the whereabouts of this form. It may be lost, misplaced or not even be mailed, you may have lots of difficulty if your summer practice evaluation form does not reach the department.
- Make sure that company you have decided for summer practice
satisfies the requirements of
- Make sure that you have written the report professionally, following
on the website.
- You may be asked to make corrections on your report. Do the
corrections as requested if there is a need.
- Finding a summer practice location is never easy. Try to look for a
good one as early as you can !!!